Saturday, March 30, 2019

Exterior Color Board

This is fun. Can't paint the garage without a comprehensive plan for the whole house, so here's a stake in the ground.


They don't make "High Reflective White" for exteriors, so I went with "Extra White" instead. I'm thinking the bright white for the fascia, gutters, soffit, window and door trim, but not the "chair rail," all in semi-gloss. What if we hit the "chair rail" with white? Sherwin-Williams "SnapDry Door & Trim Paint" minimizes drips.

Most of the house would be "Conservative Gray" (LRV 63) which is much lighter than Mark's house on 9th ("Still Gray," LRV 40).

I like Mark's darker front door (Behr "Battleship Gray," LRV 30), but I notice that all of Peggy's Sierra Madre examples use trim white for the garage doors.

I wouldn't like to paint the brick at the breezeway and the garage--hard prep work, feel bad about hiding the brick--but I think I might like the result.

Peggy mentioned using different shades for the horizontal and vertical sidings--I think we'll get that effect anyway painting over the dark blue (and green). We'll use primer, of course, but...

They painted the concrete foundation in some places to match the blue-gray porch paint. I can do that, but as dark as "Tin Lizzie" looks, it would be lighter than what they chose. Either "H&C Colortop" solid color concrete stain, or "Porch & Floor Enamel."

Lastly, I'm concerned with the "Extra White." I'm afraid that a bright white looks cheap. While some of Sherwin-Williams "Suburban Modern" color palettes include Extra White (LRV 86), the photos look like Santorini--unpainted plaster. Creamier shades like "Shoji White" (74), "White Duck" (74), "Creamy" (81), or "Dover White" (83) might seem richer. SW has an HGTV designer white called "Snowbound" (83) that seems halfway between Creamy and Extra White.

But, if we go creamy, is "Conservative Gray" (63) too light? Shifting two shades darker, we could paint the walls "Escape Gray" (41) and go with the darker "Dried Thyme" (21) for the doors.

Area Estimates

Just for a rough idea:

Walls (horizontal and vertical wood, brick at garage and breezeway): 1,264 SF
Soffit, Fascia, Trim: 830 SF (the Soffit is 668 SF; Trim does not include chair rail)
Garage doors: 112 SF

Sherwin-Williams A-100 Exterior Acrylic Latex is $51/gallon, so we'd need 4 gallons for the walls, and another 3 gallons for the soffit and trim. $357 in paint, unless I can find a better price. Problem in Seattle these days is that there's an additional $36 in sales tax.

Gutters

If I replace the gutters, I need 257' of them. Lowes sells white vinyl for $0.47/foot--that's $121, plus 8 outside corners (@4.88) and 4 inside corners (@7.38) and 7(?) drops (@10.68). I'd need a bunch of joiners (25 @ $4)--another $100.

Gutter - 257' @$0.47 = $121
Joiners - 25 @ $4 = $100
Outside corners - 8 @ $4.88 = $39.04
Inside corners - 4 @ $7.38 = $29.52
Drops - 7 @ $8.98 = $62.86
End Caps - 2 @ $8.38 = $16.76
Hangars - 43 @ $2.48 = $106.64
Downspouts - 7 @12.48 = $87.36

All these plastic parts total out at $563.18 ($2.19/LF).

Both Lowe's and Home Depot sell Amerimax Home Products, including a 3' gutter guard (I'd need 86 of them @1.97 = $169.42).
White vinyl by Amerimax next to several SW white fascias.
I like the vinyl gutter with 2" x 2" square downspouts. They make a solid cover which slides under the composition shingles. The rain slopes down the solid cover and enters the covered gutter at the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...