Thursday, August 4, 2022

Strange Ideas

I feel like I'm kneading clay, or arranging and rearranging wildflowers. I'm not sure what this remodel should be.

Maybe I don't build a second floor apartment, just a real garage and move the dining room into the breezeway. Maybe I just rebuild the roof over the west wing to include a proper attic for storage. 12:12 pitch gable, for example. Pull-down stairs in the garage.

In Bath 1, I only showed a tub because, you know, resale. But I want a shower. It doesn't have to be curb-less--I could step over a 3" curb. I like a fixed glass divider instead of a glass door compartment.

I've been focused on the kitchen recently, and it could not be more obvious--a range saves money and cabinet space compared to a cooktop and a wall oven. On the other hand, the cooktop and wall oven...what? What the heck is the advantage? The fact that the oven is at a more convenient height just isn't compelling. Then there's the microwave drawer. I like the new new thing, but an OTR (over-the-range) microwave, like I have now, saves money and cabinet space. Wall microwaves waste a lot of space and you end up with a weird aspect ratio to the oven volume. I really like the sink I like (or something like it)--Kohler Prolific Workstation Sink (K-5540), so we'll use that.

The new kitchen has a lot going for it:

  • Kohler Workstation Sink
  • Induction Cooktop
  • Counter at corner window
  • Full-depth refrigerator doesn't protrude
  • New stainless steel range, microwave, dishwasher
  • Coffee, soda, ice and water in door, all out of the way of cooking
  • Quartz counter wall-to-wall at the sink
  • 12x24 slate-like porcelain tile floor
  • Framed view of living room TV; open to home office
Pretend the broom closet is more flush with the refrigerator


French door refrigerator with extra drawers

Samsung NE63B8611SS


Handle design matches refrigerator

I'm thinking we could use matching Ikea wall cabinets and reuse the existing base cabinets, doors, drawers , and cup pulls below the counter.
Kohler K-5540 Prolific Workstation Sink


No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...