Sunday, July 14, 2024

Thinking About the Carport

When last we discussed the carport, we were thinking of a 4x wood frame with Suntuf polycarbonate panels. That pencils out to about $2500 worth of materials.

The concept, which turned out to be controversial when I discussed it with Peggy, calls for six posts and a standalone structure unconnected to the house in any way. Because there is only about 19" between the top of the garage door and the underside of the eave, I had planned to lift the carport roof above the garage roof, draining into the garage gutter. But that gets tall and obtrusive.


I revisited the Suntuf specifications. They say that 1-1/2 in 12 is the "minimum recommended slope," but that "When installed at a lower pitch, additional sealing should be applied to ensure weather resistance." Using 12' panels, I don't have seams along the slope.

It seems that I can tuck polycarb under the existing eave, sloping slightly less than 1-1/2 in 12. The idea is to keep it simple.

Basic SunTuf on wood frame

There are all-metal patio cover/carports available that would be double the cost or more, but that might be worth it. I've talked to Versatube, Behr.

Glass "sunroom"


These examples tend to connect to the house on one side. A standalone carport creates a moment arm at each post, but this can be handled.

Itiel's Carports (itcarports.com)

Yardistry 11x13 gazebo

"Why don't you just ask for what you want?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...