Monday, May 26, 2025

Here's a quick charette: Build a 432 SF art studio with a 444 SF unfinished ADU above it. Remodel the existing ADU (Casey's Room) as previously imagined. Could we do this for $240,000? 876 SF new (but largely empty, like a garage), 480 SF dense remodel (bath, kitchen, doors, windows). $185/SF for the new studio, flat $77,500 for the ADU remodel. Adds 1,100 SF to the house for a total of 2,700 SF.

Could we get $1.3M? That is, would the remodel pay for itself?




This would be a more comfortable home for me, certainly. I would park the car in the "studio," which I would also use as a workshop. I could use the upstairs future ADU for storage and files (or music), and a south-facing window would make it easy to step out on the roof for maintenance.

The official parking spot as shown would be graded at 260.0 and "paved" with gravel. I could build a deck to match the ones in the rear with a top at 263.0

Another quick sketch went in a Villa Savoye direction, but I realized that the trees argue for verticality and random, not gridded and horizontal like Villa Savoye. Random verticality.

But the exterior cladding is an avenue to explore. I'm imagining a simple flat roof with something like TPO or PVC with an overly-flashed parapet. The studio would basically be a rain screen.

So, large format porcelain tiles become an option, or decorative metal panels. Expensive Schluter frames around cheaper Hardie panels, maybe.

Hardie has new sand finish and seagrass texture, as well as random width vertical siding.

I like a lighter tone (I modeled white limestone in Chief, with warm wood on the corner pop-out--the color consultant wanted warm wood to balance the green house.) But the distinct studio could be black, too. We could do a porcelain tile that's black with depth, for example.

Shou Sugi Bahn effect is cool.


Note: I turned the exposure down on the two black renderings just to see the difference.

Just for fun, I went back to blending in with the existing house. It has advantages; it would be cheaper to build, certainly.
We should probably bring the drip line on the studio up to match the house.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...