Thursday, January 29, 2015

Plan B.5

The latest plan, based on Peggy's plan, with more Master Suite detail, trades the gracious wastefulness of the most recent A plan (the one with the kitchen "prow" pushing north) in favor of being able to claim 5 bedrooms and 4 baths.
Plan B.5, First Floor

Plan B.5, Second Floor
There are fewer things wrong with this plan compared to previous ones. First, the workbench pop-out has expanded to a 6 x 10 room with backyard access. Like a crew member with a red shirt on Star Trek, this could become Phase II in a heartbeat. 

I'm worried that the kitchen seems like a blind alley. Also, we've put the TV in the brightest part of the plan (but we could change what I've labeled "Family" to "Media." The Music Room (labeled BR5) still doesn't have a stealth kitchen. The closet doesn't need to be where it is.

On the second floor, the Storage room is wasteful and the W.I.C. looks huge. The linen closet (with a raised floor to clear the stairs below) could move back (or maybe turn the kitchen unit and sacrifice lower cabinets.

I don't like the door at the top of the stairs, but maybe if it was a one-lite frosted glass. I've shown a little sculpture shelf next to it for more breathing room. Note the window from the MBR into the Trees Room. I don't know if I want the MBa to have a very high ceiling for clerestories over the WIC roof.

Don't let the drawing fool you--I have very little idea what the flat roofs over the entry and kitchen are supposed to be doing. The existing hip roof is obvious, though. It becomes standing seam metal (and we lose those ridiculous gable vents). I see now, by the way, that I should have extended the clerestory dormer over BR3 (currently the drafting room) to make up for the missing side window.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...