Saturday, January 10, 2015

Why not real architecture?

I'd like to fit in with the Broadview neighborhood. Established, conservative, refined. I've always admired this house:

House at 8th Ave and 122nd Street
But why buy into this suburban trope? Why not go for real, whogivesashit, capital-A Architecture? I saw this rendering of a new boutique hotel being built across the street from Pike Place Market.

11-story Seattle hotel by Olson Kundig Architects

Wouldn't a couple floors of juxtaposed glass look great on 118th Street? Or a different approach, like stone abutments with heavy timbers lofting a bridge house into the trees? Steel and glass creating an impossible cantilever, like Pierre Koenig's Case Study House 22?

Fever dream (noun): A particularly intense or confusing dream brought on by a fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...