Taking a break from the deck design, I went ahead and removed the window box at Bedroom #2. I'll bet it looked great overflowing with flowers (there were all kinds of nursery signs in the soil), but they never finished the wood, the plants were long dead, and one of the wires encircling the house was trapped behind the window box.
 |
| There's the bracket Peggy remembered on the left. |
 |
| Tricky managing not to dump the dirt into the basement well. |
 |
| Oh, and did I mention the ivy problem? |
Took less than an hour, all told. There were six wood screws at the top of the planter, long enough to puncture the moisture barrier, but unlikely to grip any studs. Then there were two screws at the bottom that could only be reached when the dirt was out.
I used the narrow shovel to patiently scoop out the dirt--there was volcanic rock and perlite mixed in--the soil was remarkably light. But there was still a lot of dirt remaining when I broke the thing loose with the crow bar.
 |
| First the greenhouse, now the window box and all the wires that had been tacked to the soffits. |
Sad to learn that they hacked off the chair rail molding under the window, but the "window" at the MBa is just sad. (What a hack job that was.)
Anyway, the remove stuff - scrape - fill - sand - prime - sand project continues. Mostly only Casey's room remaining (for the remove stuff phase).
 |
| More ivy to remove, but I got three rows of it. |
 |
| I wonder if this thing was bought or custom built? |
(In the last photo, just to be clear, I removed the front boards Don't think they had the dirt literally against the siding. They were bad hacks, but they weren't insane.)
No comments:
Post a Comment