Sunday, July 26, 2020

Sunday Night Status

Deja vu. Haven't I done a status report every Sunday since the before times?

Update: Yes, yes we have. https://treeshousejournal.blogspot.com/2020/07/sunday-night-status_19.html, https://treeshousejournal.blogspot.com/2020/07/sunday-night-status.html, https://treeshousejournal.blogspot.com/2020/07/saturday-night-status.html, https://treeshousejournal.blogspot.com/2020/06/sunday-night-status.html

Painted the house last thing Saturday.

Sunday was all about the "frame."

So many problems with the frame. The non-45-degree miters were tough. The "ladder" blocking was 1/16" low (to avoid being high), which made the east and west frames "sag" and required shims. On the plus side, adding the silly little triangle by gluing it with cyanoacrylic glue (because it was too small to screw) worked perfectly. There's a reason the woodworkers I watch on YouTube like CA glue. Can't use it much, though--Fiberon expands and contracts with temperature. 

Cyanoacrylate glue to the rescue. (I just like saying that word.)


Only the lowest tread is screwed in, but two more are cut and ready. (The others are just for show.)

Note to self: Saying you want a 4' stair is fine, but make the stringers 3'-10" so you can get four full treads from a 16' board. Next time. These are 4'-2", wasting a lot of $3/LF material.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...