(4) 16' solid
(9) 16' groove
(20) 12' groove
I think that's not enough solid, which I need for: the frame, the treads, and the handrails. There are six frame pieces; let's number them from 1 at the west to 6 at the east.
16' board: #1 (4' 2"), #2 (4' 2"), #5 (5' 4"), 2' 4" left
16' board: #4 (8' 2"), #6 (6' 10"), 1' left
16' board: #3 (3' 4"), 3x front treads @ 4' 2", 2" left
16' board: 2x front treads @ 4' 2", 7' 8" left
This assumes that I'll use grooved boards for the treads inside, where the edge isn't visible.
I need 28' 6" of railing for the lower deck, 16' 6" for the upper deck. Maybe I should order 4 more 16' solid boards @ $44--that's $176 + $40 delivery, $238 with tax. Or, I could buy 6, 8' boards and sand, stain, and polyurethane them. Dunn Lumber sells C-grade, Vertical Grain (CVG) Douglas Fir 2x6 for $6.58 a linear foot, so $315.84 without tax, delivery, stain, or polyurethane. I'm concerned that a Fiberon handrail won't look as good as it should.
Fiberon boards are 5.25" with 3/16" between them. It's about 3' 8" from the house to the frame at the top of the stairs--we have to use 16' boards for the deck. 44" / 5.4375" is 8 rows and 1/2" I have to deal with. I'll have to verify the 44" in the field, but I'm inclined to hold the deck away from the house to make everything work out. Either way, that uses up the 16' grooved boards with one left over.
I'll fill in the prow with 12' boards and hopefully have some 4' 2" scraps for stair treads. Actually, I realized just now that the inventory did not include a bunch of ~3' scraps from the upper deck. I'd have to pencil it all out, and I'm wasting daylight.
No comments:
Post a Comment