Last summer's efforts to uncover the patio and build two decks will be in vain (well, sort of) if I don't make the backyard a pleasant place to celebrate the end of the pandemic quarantine. First, I need to button up the basement stairs.
The plan from May 2020 is still viable--buy a Bilco basement door (or equivalent) and install it over the steps (after removing the remaining railing. It will stop two feet short of the house, so I have to design something to go there and fill that gap. Here's the existing situation:
If you recall (I didn't, at first), the plan is to solve the egress window above by creating a simple landing pad under the operable part of the window where the cross bar boards are now. A low-slope shed with mineral roll roofing, perhaps.
 |
| The top of the door aligns with the bottom of the siding. |
 |
| Something like this Bilco SZ OG, $702 at Home Depot |
 |
| Keyed lock, gas spring assistance. 47" x 58" |
The other thing stopping the backyard from being enjoyable is what I call the Lumber Yard. I thought salvaging the deck was a noble and good thing to do. In hindsight, a dumpster might have been a better option. With the high cost of lumber just now, offering it to anyone who'll haul it away is probably a good idea.
 |
| The Lumber Yard is actually a custom-made rack under a tarp, and it looms. |
I'd like to furnish the patio with a fire table like the one Kevin has (keeping up with the Joneses'), but I'm open to other ideas.
 |
| Maxwell 52" x 35" ($1215 from Home Depot) has propane tank inside, comes with canvas cover. |
No comments:
Post a Comment