Sunday, March 6, 2022

Tree Identification

I would like to get my trees classified better than I have. The survey says tree #1, just north of the NE corner, is a fir, but I think it's a cedar, for example.

Tree #1

#1 is the city's tree, in the ROW. It's a 24" Fir on the survey.



Website What Tree Is That? says that individual needles like this that taper at the connection to the twig, so as to appear stalked, make this a Douglasfir (their spelling), or Pseudotsuga Menziesii. If so, the survey is right.
Rough bark


Tree #2

#2 is the huge tree in the NW corner of my property. It's trunk veers east as it meets the ground, and it splits in two trunks 70' in the air. It's called a 44" Fir on the survey.
I've always thought this was a Douglas Fir
Looking at the photos, this not only looks like #1, but the cones look like the photo online. The cones are very distinctive--they are not like pine cones. Maybe 1-1/2" long, narrow and almost bullet-shaped with rows of scales.




Tree #3

#3 is a large, messy 36" Cedar, according to the survey. It's why I got a canopy. Its trunk splits into 5 major trunks just 8' off the ground.

It would appear to be an Incense-cedar (Calocedrus decurrens). Libocedrus decurrens Torr is its former name. This is where the yellow pollen dust comes from, but the cones in the driveway are from the Douglas fir. 



Tree #4

#4 is 26" Fir on the west property line, just south of BR3. Its bark is a little mossy; it's hard to describe.

Tree #4 in the foreground; Tree #5 lurking for comparison

Tree #5

#5 is a 36" Fir near #4 on the west property line--actually straddling the line. Its bark looks different from #4, however.
Killing and removing the lower ivy took a toll on the upper ivy.

Tree #6

#6 is a 10" Fir. Like #4 and #5, its branches start so far up, it's hard to even see the needles. The trunks of all three are perfectly vertical--maybe they are Lodgepole pines (Pinus contorta). The What Tree Is That? tree finder suggests Limber Pine (Pinus flexilis), but they could all be Doug firs for all I know.


Tree #7

#7 is a 26" Cedar just about centered on the breezeway, about 10' away from the southern property line.

Tree #8

#8 is massive 38" Fir aligned with the basement stairs.

Tree #9 is an 18" Fir just east of #8.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...