Friday, July 1, 2022

Kitchen

We want to achieve the feeling of a modern, freshly remodeled kitchen, but keep costs low. New appliances, but reuse cabinets if possible.

I'm ready to lose the greenhouse window and the counter-level glass blocks, but I'm sad to see the light and ventilation go. Now that the plan includes a windowless pantry, maybe we can back off on the cabinet density and include more windows.

Cabinets. The current plan involves reusing the 26 cup pulls, along with 8 cabinets. This means 5 new cabinets (not including the dining room, which will need new pulls), to match the frameless cabinets and door style.

Unusual raised panel doors
Matching the existing doors may be hard. The "California" style from one source is close, but not exact. The straight bevel is usually on the inner panel, with the ogee on the outside stile--in our case, it's reversed.

By the way, the existing drawers are smooth panels, except for the edge, which matches the doors. (Raised panel cabinet fronts online often have raised panels on the drawers.)

The existing 3" cup pulls have 2.5" center screws.

The big question is whether slightly different cabinet doors can be mixed and matched without looking wrong. Put another way: How much are we really saving by reusing the cabinets? The current design calls for 13 cabinets. A 21" base cabinet from theRTAstore with a white Shaker door is $391 ($313 on sale). Roughly $3000 in cabinets--if we reuse 8/13ths, we save $1846. Maybe consistency is worth it.

Glass front cabinets seem to fit with "coastal," but we need to consider the contents of the cabinet--dishes and glassware look good, appliances not so much. See Storage-based Kitchen Design from 2015.

Appliances. I'm assuming new refrigerator-freezer, 30" electric range, microwave-exhaust fan, and dishwasher. First question: Should they be white or something like brushed stainless steel? Many are available in "black stainless steel." Should everything be one brand, or best-in-breed?

Bertazzoni Master Series
Range: I like the controls at the front, not the back. I'd like the range to appeal to buyers--Bertazzoni makes a high-end induction slide-in range that seems to cost about $4,000. The GE Profile induction range is $3,000. The Viking 5 Series is $10,800, but it looks very impressive.

On the low end, the Frigidaire non-induction FFEH3054US is just $900.

Refrigerator: There are a number of counter-depth models for about $3000. Freezer on the bottom, french doors above. The GE Profile PWE23KYNFS is supposedly a best-seller. It's 35.75" W, 31.25" D, 70" H. LG's version is $2000 and has the same dimensions. 

Microwave: LG has a 2.2 CF stainless steel microwave that I like.

Dishwasher is easy. Everyone makes models in white and stainless steel. They are all the same dimensions.

Let's go with brushed stainless steel, LG refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, and the Bertazzoni range.

Sink. Especially if the appliances are stainless steel, that's what the sink should be. Undermount. I like what they call a single-bowl workstation sink. Kohler Prolific, or similar. 33" W, square sides.

Kohler K-5540 Prolific Workstation Sink

The faucet should be a single-lever gooseneck with a pull-out sprayer head (known as "pull down"). Basic. I don't think we need the spring coil around the outside (known as "pre-rinse"). Grohe Concetto is nicely streamlined.



Silestone Blanco Maple


Countertop
. I like quartz. Not natural stone, not tile, not plastic laminate. I like the simple edge in the sink photo (above). I like a "waterfall" effect, but the only place I can use it, I don't like the sharp corners it produces, so I think I'll skip it.

Home Depot sells Silestone, among other brands, and Silestone has a bright white with a "white noise" flecking called White Storm. That might be too bright. Another color, Blanco Maple, introduces more chips and seems pretty coastal to me. Ikea Kasker calls it "white with mineral effect" or "white with mineral/glitter effect."

Backsplash - low (2") in the sink photo looks good, but we'll need more at the range. Since the range is nearly centered on the dining room and visible from the living room, it is ideal for a spot of color, like blue glass mosaic tiles. 

Flooring. I like a slate gray tile, but I'm flexible. A big porcelain tile with light grout might work.

Ignore the dark cabinets and the rug.




It was done by Mrs. White in the Kitchen, using the piece of driftwood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...