Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Garage

A new, two-car garage with drywall walls, lights and roll-up overhead doors. Hit the clicker, roll into the garage. Hit the clicker again and get out without getting rained on, or tracking wet pine needles through the house. From an open house perspective, open the door and see a finished garage with space for a workbench and a closet for storage.


Painted drywall walls and ceiling. Puck downlights. Smooth gray concrete floor with a curb all around. Corner for a workbench with plenty of outlets.

I wonder if we want a window (even a door, perhaps) on the west wall. Maybe a window (fixed) on the east wall, facing the kitchen.

We could have a post in the middle to minimize the cost of holding up the 2nd floor north wall.

Wayne Dalton 9100 steel doors from Lowes. $588 each

The closet shown is just luck--we could make it a different configuration if we had a particular use in mind.

Through the door in the middle, turn right and go up a few steps to the door. Come outside, go down a few steps to grade and that's where the man door to the garage would be so that you could circle around again.  Dumb. So, no man door. But maybe a window.

I could paint the concrete floor as I did the workshop. I used a basic floor paint, not a fancy, overpriced epoxy. From an open house perspective, I think bare concrete and no workbench spur one's imagination. 

With a 4:12 roof (to match the existing house), we'll have 45" from ceiling (plate) to ridge. Should we put a pull-down attic stair in here, or have an access door from the 2nd floor apartment?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...