Friday, November 17, 2023

All About Eaves

 I bought some expensive lumber for the new fascia: Dunn Lumber calls it "RealTrim" Spruce 1x6 $2.13/LF. (Online it's $2.18) There is 257' of fascia ($560), but I only need to replace the damaged parts. 

At Lowes, I bought some shiplap siding. (Everyone wants to sell nickel-space, interior grade shiplap, but I need v-groove.) This will work for soffit repairs as well as wall repairs. Lowes calls it "White Wood" 1-8-8 and it's $2.13/LF, just like the 1x6 trim. Problem is that the current shiplap has a 9" exposure and this is more like 7".

I also picked up 10' of galvanized Z-bar flashing (.76/LF) at Lowes.

I think I'll need new nails, in order to avoid rust marks. Looks like hot-dipped galvanized is still a thing. 8d should do--2-1/2", 1-3/4" into the rafter tails. Screws would be better/easier. I wonder what roofers are doing these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...