Saturday, November 18, 2023

Slow Progress

I haven't hit my stride on this project yet. You have to start removing rotted wood to see how far you have to go before you can build new stuff.

I worked on this hole. I planned to cut out a rectangle around it, cut a new board to fit the hole, then use wood filler to seal it up. Then I noticed that it's at the same height as the low fascia. Now the plan is to continue the fascia onto the breezeway wall and die into the trim at the sliding glass door. Easy peasey.



I turned my attention to the corner at the dryer vent. I cut the soffit back to the closest supports and exposed rotten 2x framing at the valley. I used the shop vac on the eave space, then used the reciprocating saw to clean up the end of one rotted 2x4. The bottom of the valley rafter is rotted, but maybe I can leave it and support the fascia and soffit with sister 2x4s on either side.


The fresh cut in the center of the photo is the 2x4 that I plan to sister up against. Then a 2x4 sub-fascia parallel to the sliding doors, then sky hooks on the BR2 wall.

By the way, in that last photo, I don't know why the rockwool insulation slopped over into the eave in just that one rafter bay.

Finally, I discovered that, unlike the vertical v-groove shiplap siding that is 1x, the soffit is actually a 7/16" v-groove product that I don't think they make anymore. I'm tempted to use 7/16" plywood and scribe v-grooves into it.


Full Size, except gable elevation (1/2" = 1' 0")




No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...