Thursday, June 23, 2022

Bath 1

I need to be specific about plans room by room. Let's start with BA1.

Demo the existing whirlpool bath, tile surround, and stub wall. Remove the tall skinny door.

I like the new crown molding, but it will need to be patched and modified for the new layout. As for base molding, the current simple rectangle aids the forced perspective--it's smaller, so the ceiling seems higher. We can move the existing downlights.

I want a walk-in shower, but I think a tub helps resale. The shower head moves to the BR2 wall, but the drain can stay roughly the same. This is a studs-out project at least at the exterior wall. 

Tub. The new tub space: 60.5" stud to stud, 59.5" finish-to-finish. American Standard Cambridge 60" Americast soaking tub. 60" x 32" x 17.75". Tubs come in White or Arctic (also white). Princeton 60" is less expensive and only 14" high. (The current whirlpool tub is 22.5" high, a real pain.)

Window. The existing door is 8.6 SF of ventilation. I assume horizontal slider, but I'm not sure how tall. 42-48" wide. The current shower head is +75" so it will splash a little on a window sill. From the exterior, the window will want to be OX (O near the shower head). 42x36 is 10.5 SF, but only half is operable. Half of 48x42 is 7 SF. (Max. height 46" to stay above ext. chair rail.)

Tile surround at the tub is an art opportunity. Should tie in with the overall house theme and the vanity in particular. I think we'll want to tile to the ceiling, and around the window. Maybe 1" x 3" in an ashlar pattern. By ashlar pattern, I guess I mean stacked, but with random color variations.

Tub and shower surround (maybe less tan, more gray?)

We can tile niches near the shower head and on the opposite (BR1 closet) wall, but it increases shower noise in BR2. Maybe a tile shelf on the BR2 side instead.

Exhaust Fan (replace existing round unit). Let's vent this one to the outside for a change.

Toilet. Toto Drake II 2-piece elongated toilet with Washlet bidet. Requires GFCI outlet at +12" to left of toilet.

Accessories. I like the plain chrome towel bars, but maybe there's something more thematic. They should tie in with the tub/shower controls. Matte black might be a nice theme--simple bars don't make a room seem dark.

Vanity. What kind? Mirror? Medicine cabinet? Keep existing medicine cabinet (white painted woodwork)? Remove two wall sconces--replace with other fixtures? A mixing valve for pete's sake. Maybe a large mirror framed just like the living room? Medicine cabinet on the side wall? Existing cabinet is 16" W x 5" D x 30" H. Quartz counter. Tile backsplash to echo tub surround?

Something like Ikea's Godmorgon cabinet and Odensvik sink

The Godmorgon cabinet is 39.375" W x 19.25" D. It is to be mounted with the top 25.375" to 29.875" from the floor, and Ikea sells ~1" diam. legs for the front. Without the legs, it seems unlikely to hold up without more structure. The Odensvik counter is 2.375" thick. Current counter is 33.375" high, which seems little higher than average..

Keep the glass-front cabinet I added? It's 20.5" W x 6" D x 24" H, with a paper towel roll under it.

Faucet. I was thinking chrome, but black is an option. Perhaps the Moen Rizon or the Pfister Kenzo?

Floor. I like a slate look. Maybe a 12" x 24" or just 12" x 12" in a brick ("Greek") layout.

12" x 12" in a brick ("Greek") layout
This is pretty cool. Do you have to fly artisans in from Europe?

Walls. Colors? Off-white with bright white trim. Coastal blue accent wall? Beadboard wainscot?

New door hardware?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...