Light (due to north face). Not two-tone (because it's not a 1957 Chevy Bel-Air). No highlight on the chair rail (because the rail isn't anything to highlight). This house (910 120th St) seems a good role model:
 |
| Basically, gray with white trim. Gray is tricky--it can easily have blue, green, red, or yellow undertones. This photo, taken on an overcast January day, might look different in summer. |
I chose Pure White (SW 7005) for the eaves. LRV /84. I could go brighter, but I bought an expensive gallon, so I'll give it a try. White Snow (SW 9541 /90), (High Reflective White 7757 is Interior only). Snowbound (SW 7004) is nice, too, but it is actually LRV 83. The existing white on the house is too bright, in my opinion--it looks like primer.
I collected about 30 paint chips from Lowes, spread them out and looked for a good gray. I liked Olympus White (SW 6253 /68), Agreeable Gray (SW 7029 /60), and Grayish (SW 6001 /60), but there are dozens of similar grays. "Agreeable Gray" is Sherwin-Williams' best-selling color.
Make the front door pop with color, maybe the greenhouse window, too. Maybe paint the brick at the breezeway and garage, maybe don't accent the trim or the garage doors--maybe give the garage gray a blue tinge to separate it from the house. This post is just about the house walls and the trim.
I put the three grays on a board and looked at them in the (overcast) sunshine:
 |
| Front door |
 |
| Curb appeal corner |
 |
| Breezeway--painted with Gray Screen 7071 two years ago |
 |
| Garage--Time to paint the brick? |
 |
| West wall |
 |
| South wall--note that they used T-11 instead of vertical v-groove siding |
Regardless of their marketing names, the three swatches are bright gray (close to white), a darker but still light taupe in the center, and a lighter taupe on the right. In the sun, the trim white seems yellow, while the leftmost "bright gray" seems bluish. For compatibility with the center trim white, I think I like the warmish gray taupe on the right. (SW mentions this gray's "red-violet undertone.")
Here's the color panel at the "curb appeal corner" against the existing dark blue:
No comments:
Post a Comment