Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Carpet Be Gone

Update: 10/26/24. What carpet?

Notice that the microfiber towel matches the edge tape? That is not an accident. (Yes it is.)

----

Well, that happened. The ratty old carpet by the laundry had me curious--did they decide to have carpet even though they already had 2" red oak flooring? Or did the oak stop? Maybe the oak continued, but it was damaged and carpet would cover it.

I peeled up one end and I told myself if the oak continued, I would remove all the carpet. But if not, I'd tack it back down for now. Turns out, I lied to myself.

Well, my house used to be a home, not a construction site.

As we know, all the dirt and any spills that's on the carpet flows through to the subfloor, but we were reminded. At the Kitchen, we learned that the ceramic tiles were glued to sheet vinyl flooring (looks like the same Armstrong pattern we chose for the 341 Johnson house--green diamonds on white). And for those counting at home, that is a full six thresholds on like 60 SF of floor.

Sheet vinyl under the kitchen tile

Next step, I'll put down subfloor to protect it (and to protect me from the ancient dust and grease). I'm thinking Ram board. Lowes has 150 SF (the hall is about 60) for $36, plus Ram board seam tape for $11. They also sell Ram board edge tape, but I don't think I need that.

The breezeway is a good 1/2" below the "finished" floor.

The drywall on the left is shot--they glued paneling to it and I painted over the glue remnants.

Wide-angle view of the whole thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...