Tuesday, October 29, 2024

Closets

I find the little closet in BR1 unusable (except for a lot of winter coats). Everything I put on the shelf in there is covered with dust. I like the idea of replacing the door with a swing-out bookcase. It's not a good closet, but at least it would be a conversation starter at an open house.


Whoever built the crummy trim in BR3 put the pole in this closet.

The pole hangs like the garage door track

Yup--the pole rests on a hinge.

I have 3 cedar-lined closets (2 in BR1, 1 in BR2). I would like nothing more than to paint the cedar bright white. However, sanding the cedar restores its aroma, which is what repels moths and other bugs. Cedar is a selling point and might be protecting my clothes, so I think I have to sand it.

The main BR1 closet may change its geometry depending on the BA1 remodel, but here's the as-built:

My person at the far right: Why the long face?

Most photos of "reach-in" closet organizers show the doors removed and the closet about as wide as the door opening. I wondered what to do with the extra 20" at the left in my closet, but I think the answer is: hang long stuff sideways on a 2' long pole, then install 9-12" shelf units on the back wall, to allow 12-15" of access to the hanging long stuff (e.g., pants or bathrobes). The shelf units can be shoes, or drawers or whatever. The rest of the closet is poles parallel to the back wall.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...