Saturday, November 16, 2024

ADU Kitchen

This isn't as easy as I thought. This is my home during Phase II, and I'll need a kitchen.

Sink

The ADU is 36" lower than the main house. The drains in the bathroom run to a sewage ejector that pushes the water into the basement and uphill into the main sewer. The toilet is 3" diameter, the shower is 2" and the sink is 1-1/4"--if they did it to code. They would have had to cut and patch the concrete floor to accomplish this.

Drain line from the ADU. Black pipe above is washing machine drain.

So. I don't think we can drain a washing machine through the existing sewage ejector, but tapping in another 1-1/4" line to drain a kitchen sink is possible. We need 4" of fall to be on the other side of the room; it's not clear how low the toilet drain goes--if it's shallow, we need to excavate and rebuild the toilet drain--I'm not sure a kitchen sink is worth it.

Kraus undermount stainless steel sink is 17"W x 19"D x 10"H.


We should also have a garbage disposal in such a small sink, right?

Refrigerator

Under-counter, 3.x cu. ft. units are too small. Peggy and I like a taller, 7.x cu. ft. model, like this one from Vissani. (Freezer below is more efficient, but I haven't found one to buy.) 

Cooking

One of the things I cook is scrambled eggs. I considered two burners, but one would do. Here's a basic induction hot plate that is 11.5"W x 13"D x 2.56"H.

A countertop toaster oven big enough for a frozen personal pizza, such as this Hamilton Beach model that is 18.7"W x 15.24"D x 9.4"H.


I use my countertop grill as well. It is 16.25"W x 13.75"D (wall to handle). It is 7"H, but 14.25" when open. 

An, of course, a microwave oven. Here's your basic dorm microwave. It is 22"W x 16.4"D x 12.5"H, and of course the door has to sweep open. This one is 1.4 cu. ft., 1100W. We could go smaller, such as this 700W, 0.7 cu. ft. model that is 17.25"W x 13"D x 10.13"H. It can be mounted under a cabinet.

Coffee

Don't laugh, but I use both my coffee makers. 

The Keurig is 8"W x 13.5"D (from wall). It's 12.13"H, 17.5" with the top up.

The Black and Decker is 8"W x 10"D. 13"H, or 21.5" with the top up.

Storage

Upper cabinets for plates, bowls, glasses, mugs.

Base cabinets for pan, popcorn bowl. Sink cabinet for cleaning supplies. Drawer for silverware, drawer for knives, spatulas, etc.

Pantry-type storage for coffee pods, spices.

Broom-closet: tall storage for Swiffer

Dishwasher

A dishwasher is kind of "free"--it drains using the sink pipes, and it draws less power than a cooking appliance. Maybe something like this Midea model, which is 17.6"W x 22.6"D under the counter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...