Saturday, May 19, 2018

Kitchen layouts old and new

Peggy's design from April 5, 2017 gets specific about cabinet widths, but it doesn't look like the latest u-shaped layout.
Peggy layout from 4/5/17

We'll be dealing with the outside of the west wall of the kitchen--removing the greenhouse window, probably removing half the glass blocks, so we get to consider an almost studs-out fix.

Peggy seems to call for a counter-depth refrigerator in the old drawing; a normal one in the new drawing. My current refrigerator is 15.5 cu. ft. and I'd like something larger, but it's not a deal-breaker. I like my electric range with fan and microwave above, but I have to decide:

  • Keep the existing range/microwave
  • Replace the range/microwave as is
  • Install and range and fan and a separate microwave
Complicating the choice is that I now have gas stubbed out in the basement. A gas range might be a plus, but I'm not sure you can hang the microwave over a gas range the way you can with an electric/ceramic range.
Peggy layout from 1/1/18
I expect that we can reuse many of the existing cabinets--they're in pretty good shape--but I'd like to be creative in terms of open shelves and maybe one or two new cabinets blended in tastefully.

Looking at these two layouts, I wonder if we couldn't leave the east-side peninsula, but move the sink to the right (east) and put the dishwasher to the left of the sink? Maybe the trash cans stay where they are under the corner window, but now they're more accessible to the sink.

I'm sad that we can't use the corner base cabinet, but I don't see a way. I like the corner half-circle lazy susan--opening the door pulls the shelves out, too. But the last 1' x 2' in the corner is wasted.
Kitchen west wall as of May 2018. Looks like we're only repairing the white vertical siding. Note the range vent to the left of the greenhouse window.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...