Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Rough-in for Down Lights

Almost done. Steady, nose to the grindstone work.

Wires ready for a junction box.
Twelve junction boxes for twelve lights, true. But that's 23 wires to cut to length and staple in place. 23 wires to remove the outer shielding from the last 2.75". 46 white and black wires to strip 3/8" from. 23 plastic strain reliefs to install.

Pinching the 23 strain reliefs into the junction boxes has been difficult. You might even say painful, given that I drew blood last night. :-)

Then we direct the wires into the push-in connectors in the boxes. Each box has 6 wires to attach--that's 72 wire push-ins.
I decided to always use the same two punch-outs for the wires. From the switch is always on the left (in this photo), to the next light is always on the right. I love that the light company supplies the connectors.
Hooking the whole assembly to power won't be a piece of cake, nor will it be that hard. You may recall me whining about lack of room in the switch junction box in an earlier post. At the moment, I have 9 more junction boxes to finalize before I move on to the switch. When I do the switch, I'll be using my birthday head lamp, since the power will be off. I expect to do the switch (and test each box) tomorrow (Thursday afternoon).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...