Sunday, May 5, 2019

Sunday Evening Status

This project is coming in for a landing. Sunday, I was an insulation installer. I've bought 64' of R-13 batt insulation and I've used all but a couple of feet. I need to insulate the wall between the BR3 Hall and the BA3, and then insulate the ceiling of the BR3 Hall, but everything else is done.
Insulation complete
The builders of the workshop saw no reason to install studs at 16" o.c. (They also used 2x4s to frame the 10' 6" wall at the stairs when code says 2x6.) I tried to find wider rolls (Home Depot sells R-11 for studs 24" o.c., but only in large quantities), but I ended up just biting the bullet and splicing my own wide batts. (The R-11 batts would have had to be cut, anyway.)

I took an inventory of Needs and Haves for drywall. Need 17,200 square inches. Have 11,100 square inches. No matter what kind of Tetris games one plays, I need 6,000 more square inches (a 4'x8' sheet is 4,608 square inches), so I put out the bat signal for John Jones. Two sheets should be easy compared to the six sheets he helped me lug last time. Since I'm going to have a full sheet, I'll use it on the wall to the left in the photo above.

I feel a bit like Howard Roark in The Fountainhead, in that I've been feeling the cold air drafts as I've been working, and the fiberglass batts really are comfy cozy, like a blanket. Not just pencil and paper; I feel the architecture.

We're getting close to done. I didn't go to the home improvement store at all today. :-) I sanded the patch in BR3 and the final coat made a big improvement--there are still some imperfections visible in the LED side light, but I'm declaring victory.

Punch List
  • Cut and install the various pieces of leftover drywall
  • Install the perf angle to support the west-most garage door track--this will entail cutting the long angle.
  • Apply tape to hide gaps in loft ceiling drywall. 
  • Install nail/screw organizers and power strip (blocking and drywall are in)
  • Sweep and vacuum the floor in order to see imperfections
  • Paint particleboard shelves
  • Apply concrete floor patch as needed
  • More primer: Prime the west garage door, the edge of the loft
  • Buy garage floor paint (forget the laminate floor ideas)
  • Wash the floor, apply acid etch, wash again
  • Paint the garage floor
We're not done yet, but I can see the end. Just about a month, just about $1,100. Worth it.
Sunday afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...