To top off the workshop project, I ordered a $100 steel miter saw stand. Usually, when you get a new thing there are missing parts, or it doesn't work as you expected. In this case, I got a very good product--it's heavy and therefore sturdy. Someone wanting "portable" might be disappointed.
| A smiling box left at my "front" door. Sticker says "Heavy" on the front. |
| Solid steel. There are only two price points if you're shopping: $100 or so, and $200 or so. You can buy a $79 stand, but I wouldn't recommend it. |
I can use some of the perforated angle I used on the garage door track to provide a surface for that foot to rest on, but it won't be bolted down. I could fabricate some kind of a "holddown" device using plumber's tape. I know! Bungee cords!
Speaking of cords, though...
| The insulation on the cord is just disintegrating. It's bad at the tool, but there are failures all along the cord. |
| Bolt in front (left), no bolt hole in back (right). Center "foot" hiding behind the cord. I could bolt an angle to span between the supports, but I still couldn't bold it down. |
So, maybe I need a new miter saw. What I have is a "chop saw"--you can only change one angle. A compound miter lets you tilt the blade as well as setting the table angle. More advanced than that is a sliding compound miter saw. I have a 10", but pros often use 12". Without checking prices, I'm pretty sure I'd like a 10" compound, non-sliding model. Again, without looking at prices, I'd choose DeWalt.
That would be the DeWalt DW713, Amazon sells it for $231.08 (including tax). Home Depot and Lowes $241.12.
Doing a little research, I might want a dual bevel model, so that you can leave the wood where it is and cut the reverse miter. (The alternative is to swing the wood around to the other side.)
Lowe's has these 10" non-sliding miter saws, all single bevel. Delta $117.07; Hitachi, metabo $139; Craftsman $149; Hitachi C10FCH2 Laser $179.59; DeWalt DW713. I might like the more expensive Hitachi, but it is currently unavailable.
Home Depot has Genesis $117.73; Ryobi $135; Shopmaster $179; DeWalt DW713; Ridgid dual bevel $219;
No comments:
Post a Comment