Monday, May 6, 2019

Nearing Completion

As of Monday evening, I have 13 pieces of drywall to cut out and attach, but I not only have the list of the pieces I need, I have worked out how I'll make them from the scraps of drywall I have at hand.
Some of the tools are stowed in the cabinets; the nail/screw organizers are in place
I bought the last two 4x8 sheets of drywall I need for $25. Then, I rented a truck from Home Depot for $25 and took the drywall home. Then, I bought more stuff at Home Depot for $25.
Drywall is heavy. The sheets I bought are stamped "Ultra-Light." Uh-huh.
I cut and fabricated the steel angle support for the west garage door track.
This replaces the bungee cord. <Shaking my head.> Oh look, there's one of the 13 drywall pieces I need to cut.
I cleaned everything off the floor so that I can evaluate it. It actually has sags, like an old mattress. I bought concrete filler and I'll use it, but I don't think we need acid etch or anything fancy. This slab is near end-of-life. I plan to buy this stuff on Tuesday:
A gallon covers 500 square feet, and they recommend two coats, which should still leave 1/4 of the can. They mention that you can use the color flakes (sold separately) with this paint. I'm torn. They also sell a clear top coat product, and that seems like a good idea. However, you can't apply it until the paint has been on for 3 days (72 hours). Also, the clear coat is $38.50/gallon, while the paint is only $35.76.
Rough patch in lower right...odd "sag" at center top. I really don't care much about either. Paint it.
So, Tuesday looks like a lot of cutting drywall and screwing...so much screwing. I may fling some drywall mud around, or not. Just cosmetic stuff, mostly because they didn't build the frame square. If that doesn't take all day, I'll smoosh concrete patch in places so it'll have time to dry.

Then the primer comes out again--the east door gets a second coat, the west door gets a first coat. Paint on the particleboard shelves. Then cleaning the concrete floor--just a good vacuuming and mopping, I think. And last, painting the floor. They recommend rolling it a single direction, then, 6 hours later, roll the second coat on 90-degrees to the first direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...