There are a lot of gaps in the Fiberon deck. Because it expands and contracts with the air temperature, the system requires large gaps between deck boards. Accordingly, I fitted the other joints with more of a gap than I might have.
For the handrails, I thought that I would use Super Glue to fuse the miters so that the handrail would move as a single piece. That turned out to be basically impossible, so I left a gap at the miters.
| Mockup of a typical miter joint |
I wanted to test whether DAP Dynaflex Ultra black caulk ("advanced exterior sealant") would work to make these joints seem more finished.
| I like the look; I think it works. It's waterproof and permanently flexible |
The mockup looks bad, I think, because it got smeared on the surface of the Fiberon. I tried cleaning it up with Acetone; the packaging says it cleans up with "water," but it feels like tar. But, clearly, if I go ahead with this on all the miters (there are six), I'll use painter's tape to protect the finish.
Looking for opinions here.
| Pre-cleanup. The stuff was born to smear. |
No comments:
Post a Comment