Thursday, April 30, 2020

Miter Saw

I went to Lowe's expecting to buy a Kobalt or Hitachi 10" sliding dual bevel miter saw for $249.

Instead, I found that these things are bulky and heavy, so I started wondering what I really need. I see myself cutting a lot of 1x6 Trex, 1x4 ceiling plant-ons, and 2x8 framing for the deck. I confirmed that 12" blades are more than 1/5 as expensive as 10" blades (as if they charge by the inch in diameter)--same blade $27 for 10", $35 for 12"; $45 for 10", $55 for 12".

So, I bought a Kobalt SM1816LW 7/14" sliding single bevel saw for $159. It's only 10-amp (less likely to trip a breaker) and it weighs 22.5 pounds.

It can cut 8" wide (so, 2x8s) and it's at least 15 pounds lighter than the bigger saws. I think the marketing is pretty blatant--guys, you want a 7/14", a 10", or a 12"? The guys choose 12" every time. It's how they're wired. Luckily, I transcend all that.

I'm keeping a list of what I don't like, but how it attaches to the stand is not on the list--that was very smooth. I made a few cuts, and virtually all the saw dust went in the bag--that's good. I checked the alignment--looks good.

  • The demo model at Lowes had the old-style handle-switch. Mine has the new style, a two-part switch that seems like an annoyance and that it might be the first thing to break.
  • The sliding track forward and back doesn't seem smooth and precise--it feels a little rough and imprecise, but that's ignorable if the cuts are good.
  • The laser guide has to be manually turned on and off. My phone knows when I lift it, but the laser can't figure out I'm using the saw. As a practical matter, this means the laser will be left on because I forgot to turn it off.
  • The depth feature, useful for making dados, stops the blade from sliding all the way to the fence. You have to build out the fence with scrap lumber to make it work. (But it does work.)
So, I'll give the thing a try. First up--saw horses to hold the salvaged deck lumber off the ground. Lowes has a 90-day return policy. I think I'll see if I've made a mistake a lot sooner than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...