Monday, April 27, 2020

I Think I Need a Miter Saw

You may recall that I bought a stand for my Makita chop saw last May, only to discover that the Makita was so old, it couldn't be bolted to a modern stand. Also, the power cord is crumbling. Other than that, it's working fine, except that it doesn't have a laser. A laser would be so cool.

I'm starting to think I can make do without a table saw. Table saws do crosscuts poorly compared to a miter saw, but they are great for ripping. If you want to make a 1x4 3" wide instead of 3 1/2" you want a table saw. And while that might come up with the woodworking I anticipate for the living/dining room, it is less likely for the other projects. If a miter saw can cut 2x8s, we can build the deck and the ceiling 1x4 "beams."

Miter saws come in 7-1/4", 10" and 12" blade sizes. DeWalt is fairly expensive, and they cut back on the bells and whistles to make you buy even fancier models. Festool is 3x DeWalt, and brands like Bosch, Milwaukee and Makita fall between DeWalt and Festool, it seems. Ryobi and Kobalt are sold by Home Depot and Lowes, respectively, and they are cheaper and aimed at the home market. Oh, and Metabo HPT (formerly Hitachi) is in there somewhere, too.

DeWalt DWS715
Peggy has a DeWalt DW715 12" Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw. It has been replaced by the DWS715 @$200 (Amazon). It doesn't slide, but they claim it can crosscut a 2x8 at 90-degrees. No laser.

The 7-1/4" models are generally lighter and therefore more portable, but they tend to be cordless, and I need more power. The Evolution R185SMS is $173 (Amazon) is a small saw that might work. The Kobalt SM1816LW  7-1/4", 10A, model is $159 (Lowes) and can do 2x8 at 90-degrees because it slides.

I'm leaning toward a 10" or 12" blade, sliding compound saw. I don't think I need (or know how to use) the compound part, but sliding miter saws that are not also compound (like the Evolution, above) are odd ducks.
Kobalt SM1816LW. It looks like a chicken.
I like this guy. He suggests 10" since 7" is too small, and 12" blades are more expensive. He doesn't think DIYers need sliding.

ModelPriceNotes
Metabo C10FSHCTM$249 Lowes
Metabo C10FSHCT$249 AmazonDual bevel, sliding, laser
Metabo C10FSHCM$249 LowesDual bevel, sliding
Metabo C10FCGM$149 LowesSingle bevel
Kobalt SM2517LW$249 LowesDual bevel, sliding
Craftsman CMXEMAX69434501$219 LowesSingle bevel, sliding
Evolution R255SMSDB+$349 HD
Evolution R255SMSL$189 Lowes, $194 HD
Evolution R255SMS+$230 Lowes, HDSliding, laser
DeWalt DW713$219 Lowes, HDSingle bevel
DeWalt DWS713$219 Lowes, HD, AmazonSingle bevel
DeWalt DW717$499 HDDouble bevel, sliding
Bosch CM10GD$480 Lowes, HDDual bevel, sliding
Delta S26-260L$122 LowesSingle bevel
Delta S26-261L$179 LowesSingle bevel, sliding
Delta S26-262L$137 Lowes, $120 HD, $122 AmazonCompound
Delta S26-263L$199 Lowes, Amazon, $150 HDCompound, sliding
Delta 26-2241$400 HDDual bevel, sliding
Ryobi TSS103$219 HDCompound, sliding
Ryobi TS1346$134 HD
Ridgid R4113$219 HDDual bevel. LED cut line indicator
Ridgid R4210$384 HDDual bevel, sliding
Makita LS1019L$599 HD, AmazonDual bevel, sliding, laser
Makita LS1018$433 HDSliding
Makita LS1040$219 HD, $225 AmazonSingle bevel. Looks like mine.
WEN MM1011$197 HD, $194 AmazonSingle bevel, sliding
WEN 70730$213 HDSingle bevel, sliding
Professional Woodworker 8633$137 HDCompound, laser
General Intl MS3005$128 HDSliding, laser
Genesis GMSDR1015LC$160 HDSliding

The Hitachi or Kobalt $249 models (dual bevel, sliding, laser) would be okay. The Bosch is attractive for its low-clearance design, not its $480 price. I like Makita as an upscale brand, but I don't like their old-fashioned handle. The leaves DeWalt, like the DWS713 for $219. If a DIYer doesn't need sliding, and DeWalt is the quality benchmark, maybe that's the model for me.
DeWalt DWS713, $219 everywhere. No laser.
The other possibility is the Kobalt SM2517LW. For $30 more, you get dual bevel, sliding, and a laser. I'll also compare the Hitachi (Metabo C10FSHCTM). The Hitachi has a unique rail design that requires less space for rails in the back.

Hitachi C10FSHCTM
Specifications:

Maximum crosscut: 2x12 (Kobalt), 2x6 (DeWalt), 12.5" (Hitachi)
Max 45-degree crosscut: 2x8 (Kobalt), 2x4 (DeWalt), 8.75" (Hitachi)
Max vertical (baseboard): 4-1/2" (Kobalt), 3-1/2" (DeWalt) [Amazon says 4-1/4"]
Miter left: 55 degrees (Kobalt, Hitachi)
Miter right: 60 degrees (Kobalt, Hitachi)
Bevel left: 48 degrees (both)
Bevel right: 48 degrees (Kobalt), 3 degrees (DeWalt)
Bevel lock: front (Kobalt, Hitachi)
Laser: red, tool-free adjustable (Kobalt, Hitachi), No (DeWalt)
Amps: 15 (all)
RPM: 4450 (Kobalt), 5000 (DeWalt), 3200 (Hitachi)
Electric brake: Yes (Kobalt, Hitachi), No (DeWalt)
Weight: 43.2# (Kobalt), 31.4# (DeWalt) [Amazon says 38.1#], 40.7# (Hitachi) [Lowes says 45.6#]
Cord: 6'
Warranty: 3-year (DeWalt)
Kobalt SM2517LW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...