Thursday, June 4, 2020

Lumber Shopping

I want to build the two deck frames and think about Trex/Azek and railings later.

My immediate need is to build the second girder for the upper deck--that requires 10' 2x8s. Turns out 10' boards are $1.498/LF while 8' boards are $1.485/LF. 8' boards fit in the Prius.

We're talking 2x8 Hem/Fir #2 pressure treated for ground contact. When you cut a board like that, you need to treat the cut end with preservative, and I like Copper-Green Brown because it comes in aerosol form ($11.95). Regular Copper-Green (same price) gives a green tinge to the wood, brown does not.

I haven't decided about the stair stringers. Of the three options: metal, pre-cut, or 2x12s, I'm leaning toward pre-cut. Home Depot sells a 4-step (that's 5 risers) suitable for ground contact for $21.34. My problem is that I'd like 7-1/4" x 12" steps, but the precuts are usually something like 7" x 11" and the Home Depot 4-step seems to be 6-3/4" x 10". 10" means two Trex boards with no extra cutting.

I need a total of 8 stringers. Pre-cut (as described above) is $170.72. If I can get 2 stringers out of an 8' 2x12, four 2x12x8s would be $74.28. If I need 8 2x12s, it's $148.56. The first time I calculated this, pre-cut came out cheaper, but $74 vs $170 is worth the extra work on my part to make my own stringers. And I get the rise/run I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...