Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Tuesday Night Status

We have posts on the upper deck. They're only temporarily attached and we need blocking around the posts. We might use the Simpson DTTxZ--the DTT1Z is $2.47 each, but the DTT2Z is $9.14. The cheap one needs a 3/8" bolt; the criminally expensive one uses a 1/2" bolt.


The next step involves 2x4s. There are mid-span verticals and the 2x4 sub-rails will keep the posts plumb (in the cable rail plane). I'll use temporary bracing at the corners to keep them plumb in the other direction. Then we put in the blocking, drill the holes for the bolts and the cable rail (that's a lot of drilling) and install the bolts (and whatever DTTs I've decided to use). I also need 2x4s to brace the girders north and south. Otherwise, the deck (which has no connection to the house) could collapse into the backyard (south).

2x4s will arrive with the Fiberon decking, the 2x12 stair stringers and the rest of the girders, joists, and posts. No delivery date yet, but here's what's coming:

  • (9) 16' solid edge composite deck
  • (33) 12' grooved edge composite deck (33!)
  • (9) 16' grooved edge composite deck
  • 6 boxes of hidden fasteners and 1 box of surface screws
  • (5) 2x12x10' for stringers
  • (15) 2x8x8' for joists
  • (2) 2x8x12' for girders and joists
  • (8) 2x4x8' for sub-rail, intermediate posts
  • (2) 2x4x10' for bracing
  • (4) 4x4x12' for posts

The (18) 16' composite deck boards will weigh 32 pounds; the (33) 12' boards will be 24 pounds each. There will be 36 individual pressure treated pieces of lumber.
This is the color I bought. I'll have a picture frame of the same color.
Having demolished the remains of the lower deck on Monday night (it took about an hour is all), I went ahead and laid out the piers and rough extents on Tuesday. The framing plan shows the deck running all the way to the west wall of the house, but there's a downspout there and it's a little tight for accessing the side yard. The long side is 15' 6", and if I move the whole deck east by 12", the 15' 6" width still fits easily.
Dimensions from memory. Missing 3 piers under the girder closest to the camera
We could build to the corner, but the downspout would land near the railing. Shift east is better.
Since I didn't hear from them, I drove back to the dealer in South Seattle. The building was still there, but there was no sign of any lumber in the yard. I could have sworn they had a sign up when I was there on Monday, but the locked, empty building was now also nameless. Anyway, I'm sure they'll call any day now to deliver my supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...