Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Deck Colors

So, I can't move forward without renting a truck to carry lumber home. If I'm going to rent a truck, I should buy all the long lumber and composite decking at once. Therefore, to move forward, I have to choose a composite deck color. See also Deck Style and More Deck Style.

For the railing design, I'm thinking about using relatively inexpensive pressure-treated "incised" 4x4s, joined at the top by matching 2x4s. Incised means they have teeth marks where the chemical soaked in. The noticeable thing about the railing is the 8 stainless steel cables. I'm thinking I could use a really dark stain on the 4x4s and 2x4s, so that they maintain a kind of rough, industrial feeling and let the shiny cables--well, shine.
Olympic Ebony Semi-Transparent Stain--just for the railing posts
The touchable railing cap on top of the posts and sub-rail could be something like cedar stained and given a thick polyurethane finish.

Azek Brazilian Walnut
If that railing works out, I still have to decide on a color. I like the idea of a frame around the edge, rather than expose cut ends of decking. That could be the same color as the decking, or something contrasting. I thought I'd use the same frame material on the stair nosings, so contrast might be nice.

With the house done over in gray with white trim, the deck should be dark wood, I think. Something like Trex Spiced Rum or TimberTech Azek Brazilian Walnut.

Huzzah! I found an example of what I'm talking about:
I like it! I could save on Trex fascia, as well--just stain the rim joist black.

Something like this, only with big,clunky BLACK 4x4s

Something like this, only with the posts stained black, and the deck less red
Spiced Rum (edge, I think). Illustrates the contrasting "frame" idea. 
Should I use composite for the touchable top rail? Zero maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...