I'm working out a 1/2"-scale framing plan for the upper deck. I left some of the framing at the glass door in case I could just add on to it, and I think I'll be able to do that, sort of. The joists span between two girders, and the existing girder at the glass door is all set. The other girder, however, needs to be 10' long and closer to the house, so it has to go. That means I have to remove the joists so that I can remove the girder. With luck, I can reuse the joists, though, after I cut about 6" off each one.
 |
| I numbered the joists starting with 1 at BR2. Note the vault access panel. |
I built the vault access panel, imitating Peggy's contractor's design--2x2 frame with corner braces and 1/4" hardware cloth on the back side. No need for hinges. I released a fogger in the vault and "sealed" the access panel with a garbage bag, but the directions say don't use it in a tiny space like a closet or it may explode. So, I let it go for a little while, then pulled it out and fogged the general area.
 |
| Showing off the new miter saw and band clamp. Drill and driver combo works great. |
 |
| The sewage ejector is buried quite deep. The above ground pipe is the vent. |
 |
| Posts are in approximately correct location for 10' girder. Stair stringers attach to girder. |
The plan calls for Simpson connectors to anchor everything in place. Uplift on joists at the girder next to the house is an issue due to an aggressive cantilever--Simpson has hurricane ties (H1) that should work, along with a 9" twist strap (H2.5).
Roof drainage: Apparently, the downspout used to run into the black pipe in the photo. It goes deep, and I'm guessing it runs over toward Casey's door. They abandoned it when they built the deck, tossing it onto the concrete steps rather than dig it out. Then they installed the exact same black plastic pipe and ran it on the surface next to the concrete patio. It never drained properly, as I discovered when I disconnected it, lifted it, and had the sludge of hell wash out onto the concrete.
I recently installed just this kind of pipe in the front yard, so I have an alternative plan to just casting it aside--it cuts with a utility knife. Easily.
 |
| May 10 photo. It seems so long ago. |
No comments:
Post a Comment