Thanks to a Perkins Builder Brothers YouTube video, I started thinking about an alternative to sanding and refinishing the existing red oak flooring.
Option 1, Refinish the 77-year-old floor. This can look great. Lane Flooring came out in 2015 and offered to patch and feather-in the flooring invisibly. He bid about $4.75 per square foot back then, but just the carpet in the hall--I didn't ask him to run into BA2 or the Kitchen. Say about $5,000--I'll bet it's $10,000 in 2024 and including the extra rooms.
Option 2, New floating floor over the oak. More color options. Consistent everywhere, like BA2 and the Kitchen. But the big deal, light bulb over my head, is that you can do a room at a time, or start the living room with the couch pushed toward the dining room, then place the couch on the new floor and finish the room. This would require new baseboards, but a) I can do baseboards; b) they would be consistent throughout.
![]() |
| Shaw Butterfly White LVP |
![]() |
| Mohawk LVP |
![]() |
| Mohawk Pepper Cliff 6" planks |



No comments:
Post a Comment