Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Molding vocabulary

When I remodeled the bathroom in 2021, I thought simple ("Shaker") molding made sense, but I've come to realize that, as a 77-year-old house, we need to respect the existing woodwork. I am so looking forward to replacing all the molding in BR3, for example, with trim that's consistent with the rest of the house.

Let's match the existing casing, for example. They matched the molding on the sliding glass door in BR1, but they installed it backward, sloping away from the door.

This casing is everywhere now and luckily it's still widely available.

Most of the house has a basic 3-3/4" baseboard with a quarter-round top and a shoe molding to hide the edge of the hardwood floor. I'd like something a little taller, and a little more interesting to better go with the casing. If we go with LVP flooring, we won't need the shoe because the new baseboard will be installed after the LVP. Since we're not matching existing base, it will be all new, everywhere.

5-1/4" x 9/16" with a simple ogee should do it.

I'd like to do the "flat crown" molding throughout. It's just a 1x4 with small cove moldings at the wall and the ceiling.

Like this, but with the same size cove on both sides.

I think I'd like panel moldings in the living and dining room, but I'm not sure. Maybe a chair rail, maybe bead board wainscot. I don't know, but if I have any of that, the moldings shown above will fit right in.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...