Saturday, May 9, 2015

Houzz Ideas

Peggy sent a passel of Houzz photos "for inspiration to help tie the two looks together." It has taken a long time to get to this point in the design, but I think we're there--the roof line, the fenestration and some distinctive details will be what people will remember, not the scope and floor plan decisions that I've spent months perfecting.
More of a negative example. Focus on the fascia, ignore the massive roof lump.

Similar to one of the A.12 roof schemes. Maybe we lean in to the slim "Rorman" brick we already have. I like what the planter at the right does in 3-D. Prairie-style, Robie House. Good "hips over hips" details.


Interesting, but I wouldn't want it. Shows the power of rhythm and nested rectangles, and it's interesting the way the columns are unrelated to the brise soleil component that they hold up--the wall is also un-involved. Deliberate non-engagement.

Yep. People really do build houses in this style. Next!

I really do love me some MCM, but one could go nuts trying to achieve this look while complying with the energy code. But we can certainly steal elements--the gable glazing, the gray wall at the right. Why do I think the window wall sticks should be painted black?

Again, the Robie House allusions are good, but the boxy, heavy look is not. What catches the eye? The downspouts.

Not sure why Peggy included this one, other than "It could be worse." Saratoga Library aesthetic, handled very nicely by Wm. Turnbull over on Phillips Ave., but I don't like it for here.

This is what many of my sketches were going for--"modern with a side of ranch." Stark contrast between bold modern and the rest of the home. (Peggy has typically disapproved.)


This view shows the clean entry roof (center) and the use of color to change the perception of the massing.

The elements I like don't work for Trees House. 3:12 metal roof, windows that don't hit the eaves, and an entry that isn't stuffed in a gap.
I like the freestanding entry truss a lot! (I found this clicking around from one of Peggy's finds.)

I guess we'll never know what Peggy had in mind with this one. Visible a/c units, clapboard gable, white trim on the chimney. I think I hate it all just about equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...