City of Seattle Energy Conservation Code, table R402.1.1 says all windows must have 0.30 U factor, maximum. Whatever, I used to reply. Well, it turns out you can hurt yourself trying to make an aluminum window less than about 0.45. What can achieve 0.30? Plastic. But there are some nice products out there.
 |
| Marvin Integrity, made from a fiberglass-like material that they call "Ultrex." Notice how the operable pane on the left has a slightly thicker frame than the picture windows. |
I visited
Mike Marlatt at Cherry Creek Windows & Doors--they sell Marvin. I like the
Marvin Integrity details--the interior is always white, but you can paint it. The exterior can be bronze or ebony. These windows, by the way, are what they call "factory mulled," meaning that the individual panes are connected at the factory so that they share mullions and muntins rather than have even thicker frames. Integrity with Low E1 coating, argon-filled is 0.30, and Low E3/ERS coating, even without argon, is 0.28-0.29. Both are EnergyStar-rated for the Northern climate. Mike said push-out awnings are a little more expensive than crank-out--one reason is they have to make the screen work.
I also dropped in on
Marlon Montes (what is it with 'M's?) at Sound View Window & Door. He was even more helpful than Mike. They sell
Milgard Style Line vinyl as well as Simonton Madeira, also vinyl. I played with the Simonton sample and the main thing I didn't like was that the hardware has "Simonton" embossed in it. Not a big selling factor, I'm guessing.
 |
| Milgard Style Line "More Light...More View" |
I'm surprised that Marlon recommended Simonton Madeira rather than DaylightMax, but I think the latter is a replacement window (they have thick frames because the new frame sits inside the old). Simonton comes from Columbus, OH.
Both Mike and Marlon took my preliminary window schedule and promised to get me a bid by the end of the week.
Update 5/27/15: I connected with Linda Bjorklund of Puget Sound Windows by email. They carry Atrium vinyl windows, which I've seen installed at the 13017 3rd Ave. spec house. I sent her the documents; she promised a bid as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment