Monday, April 6, 2015

Green Stormwater Infrastructure

This has been a tricky design. I think that if I install two rain barrels on the sideyards and route the downspouts to them, I'll have kept nearly 100% of the stormwater hitting the roof from impacting the storm sewer, Carkeek, or the neighbors. These rain barrels can fill jugs for landscape watering, or can be pumped to provide hose pressure. Each rain barrel has an overflow pipe that I can direct toward one of two rain gardens in the front yard or, for the middle downspout, to the driveway.

I'm showing concrete bulkheads to strengthen the drainage swale pipe, then gravel from the street on either side of the driveway. The City of Seattle has a form for requesting approval to build in the street right of way--I think this is the sort of thing they'll accept. With two cars in the garage, two in front of the garage and four head-in from the street, we've got an 8-car party.

Need to come up with an approved "semi-permeable" driveway material.

I worked out that the new entry path is a gentle ramp. So is the path from driveway to west side deck to BR3. I show stepping stones at the entrance to BR4 (the former living room) because we need steps at the brick planter if the brick planter is to remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...