Monday, April 6, 2015

The Great Deck Rip-Off

I don't know what the structure under the breezeway floor is. I think it is a concrete slab, poured on a wood form that was then dismantled and removed from under the concrete. Or it may be a wood floor on concrete stem walls. There is an access hatch, but I don't feel like crawling in.
Crawl space under the existing desk--I want to see inside that access door, and also, I want to figure out the plumbing at BR 3 (left). The mystery valve (right front) and the extension cord to nowhere need figurin' out as well.

So, I took off the railing. Pieces of it were squishy with moisture, and it hasn't rained in a couple of days.

I opened up the dryer vent cabinet, too (they had screwed half of the pair of doors in place. We can see that the cabinet was not original, because the siding and the soffitt continue inside.
Update 4/9/15--I removed the "garden shed" yesterday. Kevin came over this afternoon with his circular saw, his sawzall and his construction acumen, and together we opened the deck up so that I could check under the breezeway.


Kevin had the brilliant idea of just removing part of the deck, so that the backyard is still accessible. He also suggested we put up a guardrail of sorts rather than just leave the drop off unprotected. I'm smart, too--I put the square white louvers on the dryer vent.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...