Monday, April 20, 2015

Jeffrey Frechette

I went driving around Sunday--we've had beautiful, warm weather--looking for construction sites and example houses, and I found an interesting place in North Greenwood, just south of Holman. I went back Monday morning to take a photo with better light, just as the owner was coming out to walk his dog. We chatted, and he told me he did it himself and that he's an architect. (Turns out, he has or had a design-build company and, if was licensed, he let it lapse. But anywhoo...)
9223 1st Ave NW
Horizontal wood and vertical corrugated metal. I asked him if the tower roof was SIPs and he said no. Notice the industrial skylight wells (there are two) on the roof, angled to face north. From up the block, you can see a pretty conventional comp shingle hip roof over the back half of the house.

I came across a construction site at 101 NW 105th Street where they are slowly forming a footing and stem wall. I thought there were better ways these days--this is old school.
2x for the footing, with 2-#4 and 1 1/4" plywood for the sides of the stem walls. Notice that they didn't trench for the footings.
And I came across a house that's almost finished that not only advertises itself as green, but also advertised a Green Home Tour coming up next weekend. The house, at 10719 1st Ave NW, by Abode Builders, features solar panels and will be on the tour this Sunday, along with a project with a walk-out roof garden. The Abode project features solar panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...