Just to see how it might feel, I put a hip roof on the Trees Room. It settles in nicely--like a matching throw pillow--and it makes the flat roofs just about disappear. We want a gable at the south end, however, to avoid rain runoff. This way, we just need a gutter at the sides (and some way to direct the east downspout to the front).
Then I thought I'd model an idea I'd had for the window wall--a naturalistic spacing designed to evoke a forest. I like it, but it reminds me of some too-clever 1960s church designs, and I worry that the room is too small for such a gesture. I don't let these concerns rule things out, of course.
The height of the Trees Room ceiling is based on the dining room roof (which, in turn, is based on hiding the existing hip). For this design, I gave up lofting the Trees Room ceiling high enough to accommodate stairs to a future master suite. It bugs me that it's almost high enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Steps Project
I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...
-
Here's the massing of a garage at 15-degrees and an apartment above it. I have modeled stairs up each side of the 20x20 cube, because ...
-
The A.10 kitchen still isn't working. Need to establish requirements for the kitchen. It has to be impressive, or buyers will notice the...
-
Anxious to make some forward progress, I thought, "What if I painted the garage?" If I decide to extend the garage, then some of...


No comments:
Post a Comment