Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Scheme A.10.2

I wondered why I was reluctant to proceed with A.10.1, and I finally decided that the reason is that it's not working, particularly the kitchen. Mostly, it works, but the entry / dining table / kitchen is a fail.

The concept is fine: The entry door opens onto an "open plan" living space which has furniture-defined zones. The ceiling suddenly lofts up in the Trees Room, and we have to respect that the ceiling change relates to these zones--the current plan ignores this.

The sunken Trees Room is working (new floor height 261.2, not 260.6), and we can deal with the window wall as a separate issue. Does it angle, is it a curtain wall, what part is operable, etc.

But, as the kitchen design guidelines show, the kitchen as drawn is 160 SF, which is close, but the flow is an "S" which eats up the space, which wasn't adequate to begin with. I still maintain that the door might be a nice feature, but it's really not required so we should come up with a design that actually meets the requirements.

The spiral stair makes the dining table awkward as laid out. It's a hole in the floor surrounded by railings. My concept was to make the wall behind it an accent wall--stone or something, then uplight it from below the floor. But maybe an enclosed, "secret" staircase would be better.

For the record, here's A.10.2 as we proceed on to A.11.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...