Saturday, March 21, 2015

Kitchen Cabinets

I selected a bunch of ready-to-assemble cabinets from CSHardware.com, just to get a feeling for the cost. I choose a simple panel white painted door style, Wood Trends (Hampton), and listed 16 boxes, including the sink front, two tall pantry units, an over-the-refrigerator design and upper cabinets. The total, including an accurate shipping bid and Seattle tax, came to $7,764.33. I also need about 56 SF of quartz countertop which costs, at $70/SF, $3,920. I suspect these numbers are low, unfortunately.

InnerMost Cabinets - St. Lucia style in bamboo
I'm thinking that something like a vertical bamboo might make a good design theme for the house--vertical striations of random width and spacing mimic the way a grove of tall trees is seen from a given spot.
Ikea BROKHULT

  • InnerMost (by Elkay), sold at Home Depot. Full-extension drawers, pull-out corner solution, Two-tier silverware drawer. Soft-close.
  • Ikea SEKTION has drawers instead of doors in base cabinets. BROKHULT doors are flush, but the grain runs horizontally.
  • Thomasville. Blythe Maple Clove is a simple panel with vertical wood grain. 
  • KC Fine Cabinetry - Bothell
  • Kitchen Classics by Lowe's doesn't seem to have a flush panel door option.
  • KraftMaid is sold at Lowe's. Malibu Maple is a flush panel. Bryant is available in quartersawn cherry, maple, or oak.
  • Shenandoah - Sydney is their flush panel (Maple Wheat, Cherry Spice). They have a Utility cabinet with a pantry swing-out kit.
  • Diamond calls their flush panel Heyword, but it doesn't look much like bamboo. White and black are options.
  • Schuler calls Soho a "mid-century marvel." Cherry and maple.
The countertop might be something like Caesarstone "Fresh Concrete."

Update 3/26/15: A detailed plan using Ikea SEKTION cabinets with BJORKET (Light wood, shaker) doors worked out to less than $6,000. This allows for extras like lighted drawers, and maybe fancier doors--more expensive styles like the gloss white RINGHULT, which is nearly 4.5x the BJORKET doors. BROKHULT is 1.7x the cost of BJORKET.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...