Friday, April 26, 2019

Lighting revisited


Update 4/27: Win-win. Lowe's had the Lithonia SHLPs in stock. The marked price was $2 higher than the online price--and they gave me the online price! They are small and light and have chain hooks at each end. In removing the old fluorescents, I think that the west unit was just barely holding on--the plastic end cap was cracked, so I glued it, but it was close to letting the tube crash to the ground. It made a sparking noise every time it turned on.
The old fluorescents flickered and sputtered as they turned on.
The new Lithonia lights are perfect. Much smaller, lighter weight, and brighter.
$66 well spent. (Unfortunately, I bought two T12 fluorescent bulbs for $10 and spent maybe an hour trying to refurbish the old fixtures.) To my eye, the new lights are considerably brighter than the old lights. They snap on instantly and silently. Ahhh....

See https://treeshousejournal.blogspot.com/2019/04/lighting-garage.html.

(2) 40W T12 4000k lights is 80W, about 5000 lumens. The problem is that one motion sensor switch is being asked to turn on three at once, or 240W. The label on the switch says it can handle 250W incandescent, or 150W compact fluorescent or LED, or ballasts totaling 2 amps. I don’t know what my ballasts are, but it seems to struggle a little.

So, back to consideration of options. Like 3 new chain-hung LED shoplights. They aren’t as bright, but I’ve never had more than 4 working T12s during this project, so I know 10,000 lumens is fine. More would be better. (Painting everything white helps the situation, too.)

48”, 4000K, white unless noted

Brand
Desc
Price
Store
Lumens
Watts
Watt Eq
Commercial
Linkable
37.47
HD


64
Commercial
Wraparound. High output
79.97
HD
5200
57

Metalux
42”
38.95
HD
4500
43

Euri

31.95
HD

70

Commercial
Black 3’
31.47
HD



Commercial
4-light
59.97
HD

80

EnviroLite
2-light LED T8 tube
44.96
HD
3600
28

Feit
4-light, no metal awning
99.99
HD
7100
76
136
Lithonia
1233 T12 fluorescent (NO BULBS)
16.48
Lowe
5000
80
80
Lithonia
1290L - clean bulb section
34.98
Lowe
3100
28

Lithonia
SHLP linear, alum-colored plastic
19.98
Lowe
3200
36

Sunco
LED Utility (3-pack) 5000K, pull chain
21.66
Amaz
4500
40
260
Sunco
LED Utility (2-pack)
29.99
Amaz
4100
40
260
FaithSail
Replacement. 5000K
29.99
Amaz
5600
52
140

Seems like I need three Lithonia SHLP’s. That will cost $66 including tax. 108W shouldn’t burden the switch, and it will produce 9600 lumens, which is about what the four working T12s put out. If it seems dim, I can buy a fourth--$88 with tax. 144W is still under the 150W limit. 12,800 lumens should be nice and bright.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...