Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Tackling the Garage

This time I know Peggy is right. Fix up the garage so that it's an attractive workshop and I'll get my money back when it's time to sell.

Update: Here's a good article on small workshops.

The list of improvements, after clearing out the junk, is straightforward and finite:
  • Fix the west overhead door--it's likely nailed closed
  • Remove the blue EPS somebody thought was as good as wallboard
  • Install R-13 fiberglass batts - [Rafters are 480 SF, some walls = 7 32' rolls $22.13 = $155]
  • Hardwire electrical to get rid of the extension cords and other mess--the electric panel is right there; this shouldn't be difficult. [Romex 100' $59.47, 10 jboxes @ $2 = $20, 10 outlets $5. New fixtures 3 @ $50 allow. = $150]
  • Install drywall, rough tape and sand--walls, ceiling under loft and attic rafters [Rafters 480, some walls 3/8" gyp. bd 15 @ $11.62 = $175]
  • Paint/treat the bare wood garage doors, headers, loft, and plywood at closet
  • Paint the drywall
  • Paint the cabinets
    ["Paint" might be water-based Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 Primer - 790 SF = 2 gallons @25 = $50]
  • Install storage/shelves/hangers, workbench (to be designed)
  • Paint the floor [Epoxy-Seal $32.48]
Rough budget: $647, $712.30 including 10.1% sales tax.

Here are the before photos:
I may want to refine this area as an AirBnb entry and partition off the workshop

Recessed lights in the loft floor, then gyp board

The existing cabinets are in great shape. I'll probably want more of a work table, though. The little refrigerator in the lower left has to go--or, I guess, maybe be replaced.

They put up this much drywall and stopped. Makes no sense--you can't get to that end of the loft.

The area above the apartment should be storage, too--it's got a plywood floor--but it has no lights and no insulation

This is the west wall--just need to put in some R-13 batts and drywall it.

Blue EPS doesn't accomplish a darn thing. It's gotta go. Also, why is the back of the closet plywood? I'll leave the plywood for mounting hooks and things, but drywall the rest
Livonia 4' LED shop light $35 at Lowe's
Striker motion-activated ceiling light $129 at Home Depot (maybe for attic and loft areas?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...