Monday, April 1, 2019

Post light

It looks like the post light will be doable. It's a standard 3" O.D. pipe and it's in good shape. The light fixture seems in good shape, so sticking with that is Option A. But it's an opportunity to, right out the gate, as it were, set a different tone for the house.

Remind folks that the Sound is 1/2-mile away
Traditional
Let 'em know this is an alien-designed house
It doesn't have to be black
Modern, with a little less spaceship
Kichler Cast Aluminum
One of the reasons I did this quick search was that I wanted them to tell me that they had an on-at-dusk, off N hours later circuit. Nope.

That's an extra-cost gizmo ($10) that will require drilling a hole in the post. These products turn off at dawn.

I can't find something that turns off at midnight. Maybe it stays on all night; that's what my porch light does at the moment.

The installation will be pretty simple. UF-B wire (14-3) is a pain to work with--you strip it with a knife and it doesn't bend easily. I'll feed it down the post, bend it at the bottom, and dig a 12" deep trench next to the front walk for it.

At the house, I'll drill through the rim joist (as they did for the gas line) and install a 1/2" galv. conduit with a condulet outside and galv. running into the ground.

On the basement side, I'll mount a j-box to the galv. conduit and terminate the UF-B wire in the box. I'll figure out which circuit to tap into in the basement and run simple Romex (14-3) to the indoor box. This new run needs GFCI, so I'll install a GFCI outlet in the basement ceiling--over where I tap in, since that will be more useful, or out at the rim joist.

Oh, alright, fine. I should install a duplex outlet behind the brick monument. More galv. into the ground--one bend bringing the wire into the outlet, a second bringing the wire out to the post light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...