Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Well, That Wasn't So Hard, Was It?

Yes, it bloody well was that hard. Much harder than it ought to have been in a fair and just universe.

There was a 3' x 4' panel of drywall at the loft. I removed all but two or three of the screws, but it wouldn't budge. I have a 22 oz. framing hammer--that sent it crashing to the ground, but I had to be laying on my stomach across the loft to reach the far end. I was going to gently remove the panel so that I could reuse it, but my catching hands were busy with the bashing device. I can still reuse most of it, other than the corner it landed on.

The flimsy 2x2 that held up one end turned out to be anchored by (3!) 3" construction screws.
Where the drywall panel isn't anymore.
Then there was a built-in coffee maker. It looks like a fine product, and it's designed to be built in. It has a "rough-in box" with sheet metal attachment ears and a built-in j-box for the electrical. You run 1/4" (icemaker) line of cold water to it, and they have a nice quick-release for that and an outlet for the device. Once the rough-in is roughed in, you connect the water line and push the coffee maker into the box, which automatically engages the electrical outlet. This looked in good condition, but I wanted it gone. (I have another in the kitchen, a project for another day.)

Except the coffee maker rough-in box didn't want to leave. I didn't want to damage the drywall on the bedroom side, so I ended up opening the wall from the workshop side to see what was holding it. Nothing. They had forced it in against the drywall and I had to force it out again with my bashing device.
Here's where the coffee maker and the refrigerator aren't any longer. I was trying to keep this side fairly nice.
The refrigerator didn't want to leave, either. Whoever put it in loved Liquid Nails and couldn't read, apparently, because the refrigerator is labeled "Free-Standing Installation Only." The door hinge kept me from pulling it back into the workshop, and everything, including the carpet, kept me from pushing it into the bedroom. So, I took off the door hinge (working with screws that I couldn't see, down in the carpet) and pulled it back.
Liquid Nails--even better than duct tape for whoever installed this thing. We all know that refrigerators last as long as houses, right?
So, in the process of removing these things, I created more work for myself buttoning up the bedroom against the cold workshop air. Even disconnecting the 1/4" water line under the BA3 sink was problematic--I can't get the faucet cold water back on the supply. I'm seriously thinking about just replacing the faucet. The problem is that the nut on the faucet line only turns with a tool. Everywhere but in bizarro world, you start a nut like this with your fingers and then tighten it with a tool. Starting a nut with a tool, inside a tiny lav sink--not so easy.

Update: Instead of a new faucet, I bought a new faucet supply hose instead, and the second one of those actually fit and doesn't even seem to be dripping.
I was pretty determined to figure out why these two things wouldn't come out. When I got the refrigerator loose, the Liquid Nails held so well, it pulled the drywall (on the left, by the outlet) with it.
Isn't the wall of 12" drywall panels cute? And check the closet corner where the drywall and the plywood don't meet because there is no stud. Oh, and the refrigerator genius cut the 2x4 and just let it dangle over the refrigerator. Studs are just for screwing drywall, right?

Update: Check out the outlet--the refrigerator genius ran the wall into it. I ripped it out and put a 2x4 block against the stud it was attached to, then re-installed the outlet 1-1/2" to the right, where it will clear the wall. I'm going to label it carefully: "Circuit #8 - No GFCI." The rest of the workshop is on circuit #21. Also, the blue box above it (the outlet seen in the bedroom side photo) is wired with 14 ga wire, but it goes to a 20-amp breaker, so it should be 12 ga. The geniuses wired the workshop-facing outlet with 6" of 12 ga wire as if that would fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...