Monday, May 18, 2020

Deck Demo Delirium

I've been remiss in posting deck demolition photos for the last ten days. It's been ongoing.
As of Sunday evening, May 17
The sledge hammer is a great persuader, but what would work even better on things like the hot tub platform is slicing the joist with a circular saw, so that the board itself can be used to pry out the nails.

Evolution R185CCS, $89
I used Casey's Skilsaw Sidewinder SPT 67WM on the pantry project, but it performed very poorly. I suspect that his blade is super-dull. So I need a corded circular saw. I can't get used to left-hand models, but there are a number of good basic models out there.

The key spec is weight. Eight pounds is a lot easier to control than 14, and they are all in that range. That's why magnesium instead of steel is desirable. They are all basically the same: bevel and depth control. Blade wrench attaches somehow. This Evolution saw I have my eye on also has an electric brake, LED light, 13' cord, and comes with a blade they say has no problem with nails.

Other models to consider are the DeWalt DWE575 at $129, or the Ryobi CSB125. The Ryobi is 13-amps, not 15, and is mostly plastic, but it's only $50. As someone said, Do you want to buy it once for the rest of your life, or do you want to buy two now and two later?

The boards in contact with the ground are mush. The joists are at the right height, though.
I still have a lot of miscellaneous wood boards to clean out from under what had been the deck.
The last few deck boards are stuck under the step framing; that'll go next
The joists outside the two doors are at the right height, so I hope to reuse as many as I can. The main deck (in the foreground) is not at the right height--they did what was convenient and created steps that were too high or too shallow. The main deck, however, will be quite simple to deconstruct.
Lots of rot where they rested wood on the ground. I have to figure out a railing replacement here.
I need to protect the basement stairs. Even though the new plan calls for the area to be a planter, it's not safe to leave it un-guardrailed. Makes me consider a basement door solution.

I need to protect the basement stairs. Even though the new plan calls for the area to be a planter, it's not safe to leave it un-guardrailed. Makes me consider a basement door solution. This has the added advantages of not putting a strain on the sump pump (I'd leave it in place, just in case) and giving someone emergency egressing from Bedroom #2 a softer landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...