Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Junk Begone!

Buy! Buy! Says the sign in the shop window
Why? Why? Says the junk in the yard
—Paul McCartney, Junk

$1000 for 1,000 cubic feet
Full truck = $867, plus tax, plus 10% tip. Worth it.
Lionel and Jacob used my wagon, with permission, for the little scraps at the bottom of the pile.
Lionel and Jacob from 1-800-GotJunk said they'd be here at 8:30; they knocked at 8:24. By 10:00, the truck was loaded and they'd taken my credit card. Lionel gave me the full truck estimate and said that if it was more, he'd empty the truck and come back for the rest at no additional charge. It filled up the truck--my estimate was 1000 cubic feet of junk (20' x 10' x 5' high) and about a 1000 cubic foot truck (8x8x16), so I agreed with him.

Casey suggested that movers get $10/hour per person, but since they're moving junk they don't have to be as careful, so it could be less. That would be $15/person, since it took them 90 minutes, but I was thinking of giving them $50. Their payment app had a 10% tip ($86.70) button, so I went with that. Oh, and they didn't charge full sales tax--maybe there's a different rate for junk? They added 3.6%. Odd.

Update: They didn't charge 10.1% sales tax at all. They charged a "Solid Waste Refuse Tax" of 3.6%. Then they calculated the 10% tip including the tax, which is not kosher. I thought I was tipping $86.70, but I actually tipped $89.82. I'll sue! The total, with tip, was $988.03. No tip and the full sales tax would have been $954.57--the bee man and the roof cleaner both charged Seattle sales tax
Next challenge--where to put all that dirt
About 94 cubic feet of dirt (3-1/2 cubic yards)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...