Rubicon crossed. I've now done both, albeit with trepidation. They had a 50-amp 240V line going out to the hot tub. The wires stuck out of the conduit and were buried in dirt when I found them, so yikes, but they ran to an exterior breaker box that served as a shut-off switch (and they were off). The shut-off runs back to the main breaker box, which has also been off as long as I've been here.
Before the junk guys showed up, I cut the conduit so that I could have them take it. I used the saws-all, and it was comical. The 8-gauge stranded wires resisted mightily and the conduit vibrated, so it looked like I was being electrocuted in a cartoon. I looked for flashes of my skeleton, but that didn't happen.
Yesterday, I opened the breaker box, disconnected both sets of wires from the buses and (eventually) disconnected the exterior box from the wall, leaving the 240v wires sticking out. This isn't Romex, these are individual black, red, white, and ground wires.
| I think this backs up to a high outlet on the inside. |
![]() |
| Something like this, only the bottom hole should be vertical, without the left angle, for 50-amp. |

No comments:
Post a Comment