I had a FaceTime call with Liz A. Sparrow, a Sherwin-Williams color consultant on 13 Feb at 2pm. We talked for 20 minutes and she emailed me a color palette 20 minutes after that.
First thing: Pick the color swatch you want, then go one shade darker (the next color down) for exterior because the sun. If I liked Escape Gray, she would suggest Evergreen Fog (one shade darker) because...sun.
Don't look at the new color next to the existing dark blue--it messes with the undertones. She recommends painting a sample on white poster board, with a big white margin, and walking it around the house.
Two-tone makes a house seem more horizontal. Color drenching makes a house seem larger. Given that the house is already pretty horizontal, there's no reason to accentuate that. She wouldn't call attention to a puny molding that divides the wall.
If you paint the bricks with Loxon, it should be Pure White. If you don't want to draw attention to the garage doors, give them the wall color. A contrasting trim is fine.
All paint, including trim, should be Satin finish, she says.
I told her I thought Escape Gray was too light and seemed almost pastel. She asked would you go more green, or more gray and I said gray. Her palette gives me three related grays: the lightest (Mineral Deposit) is similar to Escape Gray, a medium (Earl Grey), and a dark (Attitude Gray). She also included Tricorn Black and an off-black: Iron Ore. We talked about a color pop for the front door, so she included 3 compatible colors--I like the Colonial Yellow best, I think.
![]() |
| Liz Sparrow's suggested colors. |
I got tiny swatches of her colors and looked at them outdoors:
I found a gray house in the neighborhood that suggests how something as dark as Attitude Gray might look.
I like the basic gray, but so much white seems boring. I wonder if white fascia, but blackish lower trim might be better.
![]() |
| Attitude Gray with Mineral Deposit trim (and Breezeway door) |
![]() |
| Mineral Deposit with Iron Ore trim |
![]() |
| Earl Grey with Iron Ore trim. Porch walls in Mineral Deposit |
![]() |
| Earl Grey with Pure White trim |
Here are a couple of other ideas, both with Pure White trim. Also with real shadows (should have turned that on earlier).
![]() |
| Refuge with Pure White trim |







No comments:
Post a Comment